Both fresh and dried lavender can be added to either sweet or savory dishes for flavor and color.
Dried lavender can be used in rubs, marinades, cookies, ice cream, and sorbet. Here are some fresh ideas, just in time for summer.
Combine 2 ½ teaspoons dried lavender with ½ cup sea salt and grind together in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to make a fragrant salt. Fill a container (we like these cute Weck jars, especially for gift giving) and discover a multitude of uses. Here are a few ideas:
- Lightly salted chocolate is always a good thing. Try a pinch of lavender salt when making chocolate pudding, mousse, cake, cookies, or fudge.
- Do you make caramels or toffee? Add a sprinkling of lavender salt on top for decoration and flavor.
- Lavender and lamb is a magical combination. Lavender salt makes a great rub before grilling or roasting.
- Mix the salt with butter and stuff under the skin before roasting chicken – delicious.
- Lavender salt is a lovely way to season duck breasts before grilling – just rub it in.
- Instead of plain salt, here’s a twist- rim the glass with lavender salt when serving margaritas.
Grill with Lavender
Place a handful of dried flowers and stems onto the fire and put the lid on the grill for about 5 minutes along with lamb chops or chicken to allow the smoke to subtly infuse the meat.
Honey Lavender Simple Syrup
This simple syrup can be used to sweeten and flavor summer drinks like cocktails, lemonade, or iced tea.
1 cup water
1 cup honey
2 tbsp lavender buds
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 1 cup honey, 1 cup water, and 2 tbsp lavender buds. Stir and bring to a simmer. Watch carefully so mixture does not boil over. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes before straining out lavender.
More Sweet Ideas
- Grind some lavender into sugar and use it in simple butter cookies or infuse cream for lavender-scented whipped or ice cream.
- Add the fresh herb to salads, teas, and cocktails. It also works well with citrus, fruits, and desserts like crème brulee, or fruit crisps.
- Learn how to Grow Your Own lavender.